Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Dinner With Eric Devendorf

Below is a link to a story about Syracuse Orange basketball player Eric Devendorf serving out part of his community service working with Rescue Mission serving dinner to area residents who need a little assistance in this holiday season. I am one of those who is a sucker for a story about players giving back to the community (like Dwayne Wade purchasing a house for a family who had theirs burn down recently) but when it's community service, it kind of takes a little out of it even though it is a helping hand at the holidays that I am sure those at the Rescue Mission appreciated.

I don't know Eric or the truth about what happened on that night to force this situation but I hope he takes the time to realize how fortunate he is seeing people he helped and will avoid trouble the next time he is confronted with it. I hear often how a real man will stand up and not have his manhood question but the true sign of manhood is the maturity to know when to walk away from certain situations when the possible consequences are not worth the actions you are considering. I know many Orange fans will be happy to see Eric back in an Orange basketball jersey as soon as he finishes fulfilling his requirements but as much as I love the Orange, I only want him back if he has learned his lesson, makes better personal decisions in his life and is ready to stay out of trouble and avoid embarrassing himself and the program. I am not proclaiming the woman an angel as again, I am not 100% familiar with the situation and was not there that night but assault on a woman is something I have very little tolerance to accept and takes a lot more for me to move past (maybe it's because I have a daughter in college and the father in me would go off on a guy who did what he was accused of to my daughter). But Merry Christmas to all and I hope you all had a great holiday and I hope Mr. Devendorf is ready to move on past this but leaving that part of him behind that thought this was acceptable that night.


http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/Volunteers-and-SUs-Devendorf-serve-up-meals/5A66Pf67a0qSXIgrrUEFlA.cspx#BBECDEEMBEDEDPLAYER

No comments: