Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Orange Theatre Presents: What Is Your Dream Sports Job?

I was sitting down the other day trying to plan out ideas for the blog (and spend a few minutes away from the computer) and I had an epiphany if you will. As some of you may know, I love to write and sometimes my mind can get carried away into fantasy land when I do. As such, I have decide to debut Orange Theatre where I will discuss some fantasy topic just to appease my imagination and maybe you can add your view.

My debut in this genre is inspired by the start of baseball season. You see, a couple years ago on my birthday, Matt Dagostino, who I interviewed here http://thebigorangeblogginchuck.blogspot.com/2008/07/12-reasons-whymatt-dagostino-is-name-to.html and happens to be an Orange grad, allowed me the opportunity to do three innings of minor league baseball play by play for the Kannapolis Intimidators. I thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so that I wrote about the experience for a local newspaper which you can read here http://slspublish.bits.baseview.com/kc/opinion/327174887633561.php. I not only had a great experience but out of it, grew appreciation for what these guys do. I always wondered what it would be like to do that job and let me tell you, there is a lot of work that goes into it that you don't know or appreciate until you try it for yourself. I would enjoy it but not sure that would be my dream job.

So now that I rambled a bit, I won't hold you in suspense for any longer. My dream job in sports would be another side of the journalism spectrum and that would be a journalist/beat writer for one of my favorite teams, preferably with an Orange flavor. Now, I don't expect Mike Waters to offer me a position nor do I expect Donnie Webb to light up my cell phone anytime soon, that's not my objective from this essay.

I love sports and probably always will. There is something pure about it when you break it down. The fascination we have with past great players. The awe inspiring wins or great plays made right before our eyes. The heroes who grow out obscurity and represent collectible items we can pass on to another generation. And it is always at it's best when it's kids on a playground or at a park trying to learn to play the game and enjoying it. How can you not love all that?

So why not want to be a part of all of that and be the person who helps tell the tale of what occurred. Maybe it's because in the past few years I realized I really enjoy writing but a little too late in life it seems to make an impact. Or maybe I just truly would enjoy being paid to do two things I love and be content with the life I lived. One thing I know after previous experiences though is to not take it lightly as something I could just casually walk in and do but it doesn't help me stop wishing and wondering what it would be like to casually encounter Orange greats, the coaching staff and players as though it's just another day at work. Imagine it for yourself, sitting amongst those in the Carrier Dome press row or being there to cover opening day at CitiPark when the Mets officially christen a new stadium and people base their impressions on what you wrote? Hey, doesn't hurt to dream though, right?

So what is your dream job in sports?

No comments: