Saturday, August 2, 2008

Hall Of Fame Credible Again To Me

Former Syracuse Orange and NFL receiver Art Monk is being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame tonight at 6pm, thus ending my years of ignoring it's very existence. Art played for 16 seasons in the NFL with 14 of them for the Washington Redskins where he was one of the best to ever play the position. He averaged 13.5 yards a catch through his career, finished with 940 receptions, 12,721 yards and 68 touchdowns. Those of you who want think you need Super Bowls rings to matter, he has them too. He also had 5 seasons of at least 1,000 yards, 6 with at least 70 receptions and was named to the NFL All Decade Team for the 1980's.

And to go with those stats, Art Monk was the personification of professional athletes as he always conducted himself with class and dignity. I am not going to rant old school and say all these new guys could learn a thing or two with their "look at me" moments but sometimes I don't think it would hurt a couple of them to follow his example. I find it ironic that the top receiver of my favorite team, a man who's jersey hangs in my closet, is suspended for 2 games on the same day Art Monk goes into the Hall of Fame. Art waited too long for this honor and if this situation doesn't point out why sometimes you don't need to lead the league to be in the Hall of Fame, but be that guy who works hard and consistently for your team, there should be some reward for that. I would like to congratulate Mr. Art Monk today on his honors because sir, you are a big reason I am proud to be Orange and one day I hope to add a #81 to my jersey collection(though Syracuse please, as a Panther and former Cowboy fan, I can't justify a Redskin jersey even for you ha ha). Go Orange and thank you Hall of Fame voters for finally proving you deserve to be acknowledged again and can correct your errors of the past.

No comments: