Friday, June 12, 2009

If You Could Be Any Character In A Sports Movie, Who Would You Choose?



So after interviewing myself, I began thinking about one thing I mentioned as a possible blog entry. It wasn't just if I would write it but also, what I would choose. Then I am watching HBO the other day and one of my favorite all time movies comes on and it occurs to me, I now know exactly who I would be in a sports movie if I could. I thought hard and there were some fun options such as Nuke LaLoosh in Bull Durham or Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights or even Happy Gilmore. In the end though, this movie character seemed like the most fun to be and that would be Montgomery Brewster in Brewster's Millions.

I know many will think I picked this simply because the amount of money he made but that is not entirely true. Think about it, you have 30 days to spend $30 million and if you do it successfully, you inherit $300 million. If you don't spend it all, you get nothing. Or you can take the whimp clause and take $1 million and run. There were rules but I would have to think that it would be fun living a life where your trying to spend that much money in 30 days. Of course, the whimp clause alone could pay off my debt and allow me a chance to open my own sports bar, even after taxes, I think. As I write this, I am not even sure which option I would choose if I was in his shoes.

He also was able to not only live out his sports dream but help those around him do the same and that is to play a baseball game against the New York Yankees. He was a minor league player who just never had the chance (and the level of talent) to ever play major league ball but finally gets one chance to show what he can do. He buys his team a chance to play a scrimmage and in the end, lives out a dream by doing so and helps the guys he played with the same chance to show whether they can play at that level or not. That to me, though it happens in many sports movies, is sometime to take into account.

Now let's get back to the money of course since it is a big part of the movie. Can you actually picture in your head all the stuff you can accomplish with the amounts of money in play here? Like I said, one million dollars could pay off all my debts and allow me some time to figure out exactly what I want to do with life whether it is to go back to school for writing of some form or finally that sports bar I have dreamed about opening.

Then you have the $30,000,000 in 30 days which I think would make for an exciting challenge since you can't just give it all away to charity and everything you buy, you are basically renting because after 30 days, you must be left with what you had before you started this. You can't buy expensive stuff and destroy it's value and only gamble a certain percent away. Ahh, the imagination runs wild as you run your operation from some exotic beach location using a prepaid cell phone and laptop you rented from one of those rent to own places. The experiences you could explore even though I am sure the stress would start kicking in those last two weeks if you were not spending fast enough but some of the best adrenaline rushes in life are made from those moments.

If you are successful, you know have $300,000,000 for the rest of your life to enjoy. Now I will admit, in all honesty, that is more money then I would want the stress of handling but there are some great things to do with it. My family could have some comfort in their life as many would get their debts at least taken care of for now. I would not have to worry about all the bills I have now and credit would not be needed. I could finally open The Big Orange Sports Bar And Pizzeria as I dreamed and do it on a big time scale as I want (with lareg salaries, paid benefits and free insentives for my best employees and customers through hand outs and game tickets). Several charities would be donated to in the hopes I could make a difference, although everyone who constanly harasses me for money won't get any (same with family and friends). I would still have a somewhat modest house and cars but at least I would not worry about paying them off in time or how I will afford it when one of them needs fixing or keeping up to date with maintence issues. My kids college would be paid for and they could start their lives when they finish doing something they would enjoy without the worries of if it pays enough to make a living. Not to mention, all the Powerade, pizza and trip to Tullys and the Carrier Dome I could handle. And yes, I would even set up a nice, fancy Orange bloggers conference with all of us much access to the game and team as money could buy for that one game and fly everyone in for it. Again, this is only the beginning of what I could envision but it's a nice beginning.

Again, it is truly more then the money but the money doesn't hurt. It's that chance to live out a dream and help those around you as well. I don't think though me pitching against the Yankees would help but I would gladly enjoy one inning of outfield for the New York Mets if they would allow me the option or maybe bench coach for a day with Syracuse for any team (although I also would love to be Otto for a game too). We all have our moments I think where we enjoy thinking about experiencing things we may never get the chance to attempt or will require you to save up your life savings to try it but what if we had that chance handed to us? I loved working for a living and it was such a thrill when I did knowing I was helping my children and their future with the work and I would still work regardless, just in a way I would probably be more successful at when I tried. Brewster's Millions is a great movie about baseball, about life and one of Richard Pryor's greatest movies (though The Toy and Stir Crazy were hilarious as well) and if I had the chance, I would love to see what life would be like in Montgomery Brewster's shoes . Even though I know at times it may be more then I could handle, I am sure that in the end, it would not only be worth it but the lives of those around me would be so much better for trying it as well.

No comments: