Sunday, July 6, 2008

12 Reasons Why....Some Internet Wrestling Journalists Are Reliable

This interview is with my top source for wrestling news, which you can find the link to in my blog links area, and one of the most credible voices in professional wrestling news today, Mr. Dave Scherer. I will not sit here and tell you that me and Dave are tight friends but I have read his work for years and even did the Heat report on the old 1wrestling.com website back when he was there(and occasionally send in news items if I see them before the guys have). Along with Buck Woodward and Mike Johnson, Dave and www.pwinsider.com provide you with all the news you could ever want to know about wrestling and then more. If your a wrestling fan, I not only highly recommend this site but I also suggest shelling the cash for their paid site which will offer you more exclusives and audio that along with an ad free site, will be well worth the money. I hear many within wrestling organizations bash internet reporters but I find it odd how often these guys tend to be more right then wrong if they aren't credible. By the way, as Dave will probably tell you and I can attest, many of those other websites will use their news, basically copy and pasting it on their site without even giving these guys credit. I assure you as long as I have this blog, I will never use any one's information unless I credit them as I know they do too if reporting news items they did not find themselves. Anyway, without further ado, here is some insight in Dave.

12 Reasons Why.....Some Internet Wrestling Journalists Are Reliable

1. For Anyone Not Familiar with www.pwinsider.com , please tell us a little about Dave and the website in general?

I started covering pro wrestling in the early 1990s. I owned a weekly print newsletter called The Wrestling Lariat. From there, I went to 1Wrestling.com, wrote for WOW and ECW Magazines, The New York Daily News and finally started my own site in 2004 when my contract with 1Wrestling.com expired.


2. What type of background do you have in wrestling and how and where did you get your first break?

I guess I got my first break when I started my newsletter. My background in wrestling came from being a fan since the 7o's.


3. Do you remember the moment in your past where you were watching wrestling and knew it would be a major part of your life? I know for me it was seeing Hulk Hogan come to the aid of Bob Backlund at MSG when he was attacked by the Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff.

That moment would be when I quit my sales job at Coca Cola in 1999 and started doing this full time. Before that, wrestling was a hobby and a passion but when you quit a good job to do it, that's when it really becomes a part of your life.

4. Could you walk us through a day at work for you? What's a busy day in the life of Dave Scherer like and how many hours do you work a day?

It seems like all days are busy. I start my day checking for any huge news that broke while I was sleeping that Mike or Buck didn't already post on the site. Then, I handle all of the subscriptions for Elite site. From there, I start gathering news, writing columns and posting. From Monday through Friday, I generally work 9 or 10 hours a day. On the weekends, I work 4 to 6 more a day. An average work week is about 60 hours.

5. Is this your dream job or is there something you hope to one day aspire to do? Or what would you consider your ideal situation for you and www.pwinsider.com in general?

I love my job and where I am right now. I don't have any plans to stop doing it. I love what I do and I love being my own boss. I love the team we have in the site and it's an ideal place for all of us to be. We have a new project in the works but we won't ever lower the standards that we have set on www.PWInsider.com.

6. In your opinion, what's the biggest story you broke and tell us how you felt reporting it as well as the aftermath of it?

Sadly, the biggest story would be Chris Benoit murdering his family. I hated every minute of my job during that time period.

7. Does it ever bother you when people belittle the wrestling business or wrestling news websites?

It doesn't bother me even a little bit. I have never really cared what other people think and I am sure not going to start worrying about it now. I concern myself with what I think, not what other people think.

8. Tell wrestling fans exactly why they should visit your website (www.pwinsider.com) if they have never checked it out before? What type of features do you offer the fans?

If you want the most accurate news reporting of the wrestling business, we are the place for you to come. If you like great columns, extensive coverage, tons of audio, then come on over. And, if you are going to other wrestling news sites now, they are most probably getting it from us, so you should just go to the source and eliminate the middleman.

9. What would you consider your favorite wrestling show of all time? Your favorite Pay Per View Event or special event? Favorite all time match? Favorite Wrestler?

My favorite show is too hard to say. I have been watching wrestling for about 30 years. Ditto for the match. My favorite PPV was Barely Legal because it was the culmination of a dream for a lot of people that I knew very well. My favorite wrestler would have to be Ric Flair.

10. If you could meet or interview one person you have never done that with in the wrestling business, who would it be?

I have met Chris and Nancy Benoit, so I can't say them. So, I will say Bruiser Brody because that way he wouldn't have been murdered.

11. With all this said and all the opinions you share on your website, www.pwinsider.com , if people still ask to describe Dave, what would you like for them to say?

Honestly, only they can answer that. I just throw out my body of work and let them decide what they think.

12. Your Free Space, take this time to say anything you want to share with people reading this but remember, much like the WWE finally has admitted, we don't mind attracting younger viewers as well so please keep it clean.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. If you are a wrestling fan, take a look at our site. You just may like it.


For further information on Dave and the website, you can go to any one of the following sites and check it out for yourself. Thank You Dave for your time and I hope you all enjoyed this interview.
www.PWInsiderElite.com

www.PWInsider.com

www.PWInsiderXtra.com

No comments: